Monday, May 20, 2013

Behold....the Beet

I have been inspired lately to venture out and try experimenting with some foods that I have shied away from my whole life. If I am to be honest, it's really only because I was being shallow towards some foods because of the way they looked. I thought they would be a little strange or just flat out gross. Sad, I know, because I have been missing out this whole time! I am discovering that there are many foods that I love and had no idea only because I just didn't give them a chance. Shame on me! Today I am sharing my love for beets! For me, beets were one of those foods that I didn't even have to try...I just "knew" I didn't like them. A few weeks back I was feelin' fancy shopping around Bristol Farms, and I came across cooked beets. The only reason I even decided to put them in my shopping cart is because of the nutrition I had learned that comes from these little beauties. Great for your liver and blood, natural colon cleanser which removes toxins, rich in antioxidants and full of calcium, iron, folate, Vitamins A and C and magnesium! So I thought, oh geez...in the name of health, I will give them a try. I diced them up and threw them onto my salad at lunch, and what do you know, they weren't bad!
Well, it was love from then on. I thought it would be fun to try cooking my own beets (Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't say that it is "fun", but worth it if you want the most for your $)
There may be an easier way to cook beets, but all I did was clean them, cut off the greens, cut the beets in half and then steamed the beets for about 15-18 minutes. I let them cool a little and then peeled the skin off and placed them into an airtight container for safe keeping. After just a few short weeks with my beet love affair, I am convinced that you can do just about anything with them! They are great raw and grated into salads and soups. I love them best when they are steamed, I can eat them warm right out of the bowl. 
Maybe you were like me and you just don't know how to feel about beets, or what to do with them, or maybe you've even had them in a bad recipe from childhood and you just wont go there again! Try my new sneaking recipes that are a feast for the eyes, so delicious, and you cant even tell that you're eating beets! Who knows, you may even be able to get the kids to eat beets!

What gives this frozen treat it's bright, beautiful color?! Beets! I took inspiration from one of my favorite kitchen gadgets, Yonanas, that makes soft serve "frozen yogurt" from bananas (so fun..but we'll save that for another post!)
 
Banana Beet Soft Serve
In a small food processor or high speed blender, place one frozen banana, 1 tsp of vanilla, drops of liquid stevia (to taste) and 1/2 cup cooked cold beets. Blend until smooth, like the consistency of fro yo! If it's too thick you can add a splash of almond or coconut milk. That's it! Very health and nutritious soft serve!
 
And here's a fun spin on a not so average protein shake:
 
Red Velvet Protein Shake
In a high speed blender: mix 8 ounces of unsweetened almond, 1 serving chocolate vegan protein powder, 1/2 Tbsp raw cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla, drops of stevia, and 1/4 cooked and cooled beets
Add a few ice cubes and blend until silky smooth!
 
 
 








 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment